Every parent knows the struggle of convincing their little ones to eat more nutritious foods. Luckily, by encouraging your kids to get involved in the kitchen, you’re helping them build a solid foundation for healthier food choices. Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist Dawn Jackson Blatner offers three expert tips to get kids involved in making healthy family meals:
1. Let the kids pick the recipe. Flip through a healthy cookbook and see which recipes the kids are interested in making. This is a good way to get kids involved in selecting healthier recipes or new food flavors, and because they helped choose, they will be more invested in trying these foods when you cook them.
2. Cook as a family. Kids adore helping in the kitchen, so have them wash their hands and pull up a chair when it’s time to cook. Older kids can help with tasks like rinsing vegetables, chopping foods, measuring ingredients and cracking eggs. Younger children love to help mix, stir and do other simple tasks like using a pastry brush to spread oil.
3. Make it fun. Put on some music when you cook and enjoy the quality time together. Make your meals special by lighting candles. Create your own original recipe and come up with a fun name for it. Your unique recipe could even earn your family $10,000! From now until May 3, Eggland’s Best is searching for the best original family recipe featuring at least two EB eggs. Submit your recipe at www.americasbestrecipe.com for your chance to win.
2 Eggland’s Best Eggs (large)
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Land O Lakes Butter, melted
1 medium (2 cups) zucchini, shredded
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Place paper baking cups into 12 muffin pan cups; set aside.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl; mix well.
3. Combine butter and eggs in bowl; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
4. Stir in zucchini.
5. Fill prepared muffin pan cups three-fourths full with batter.
6. Bake 22-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
7. Cool 5 minutes in pan; remove to cooling rack.