It’s that time of year when we think about changes we want to make in our lives. For many people, those resolutions include a vow to eat healthy, exercise and/or lose weight.
People who set a specific goal (I will walk 30 minutes most days) have a much better chance at being successful than people who set a more general goal (I’m going to get in shape). People who make one or two changes at a time also are more likely to be successful than those who try to change everything all at once.
Here are some habits that can make a positive impact:
• Eat breakfast.
• Drink three cups of low-fat or fat-free milk every day.
• Decrease sodium to no more than 2,400 milligrams per day.
• Decrease fat to no more than 30% of your total calories (around 67 milligrams).
• Drink 6-8 cups of water per day.
• Eliminate or decrease soda.
New Year’s resolutions can be beneficial because the name itself sets a date for you to make a change. That date-driven commitment helps you follow through.
Quick and Easy Egg Muffins
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup onion, finely diced
2 cups fresh spinach
2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon mild or medium salsa
3/4 cup reduced fat cheddar or pepper jack cheese (or a combination of both), shredded
3 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped
1. Heat oven to 350 F. In a saute pan, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook for about 2 minutes. Add spinach, 1 tablespoon of the poultry seasoning, and the salt and pepper, and cook until wilted, about 2-3 more minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, remaining poultry seasoning, salsa and cheese. Add the spinach mixture and the bacon, and stir until well-combined.
3. Either use a silicone muffin pan or spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray. Evenly distribute the egg mixture about 3/4 of the way in each muffin cup. If using a 12-cup muffin tin, fill the empty areas about 1/4 of the way with water. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the muffins have turned a light golden brown around the edges.
4. Store leftover muffins in the refrigerator in an airtight container. To reheat, place in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Makes 6 muffins.